Ren and the art of Motorcycles

Saturday, August 05, 2006

What's in a Name?

When I started reading blogs, I posted comments under my first name. When I started my blog, I thought about continuing to use it, but decided against it for several reasons. So, I had to select a name to use. I decided to use the name I created several years ago (when becoming a Certified Wench) to commemorate some people that I think of often, especially in the late summer.

Maggie honors my great-great-great grandmother. For some reason her good protestant parents named their daughter Magdalene. It wasn't a family name, I discovered while researching our family tree. It just appears out of nowhere and only for that generation. Was she named for a family member lost to time? For a friend? For Mary Magdalene? I have always loved her name but wonder, too, if she liked her name and understood why her parents gave it to her.

Rose honors a baby I cared for back in my nursing days. She was a very special child and I plan on blogging about her story one day soon. I'll always remember this baby. She and her parents taught me many things.

Thorn is for me. I tend to hide my "prickly" side and try not to hurt anyone, but like a wild rose, I have done so.

So...Maggie Rosethorn it is.

(RA asked if I draw blood...not since I got out of the medical field. But back in the day, I was really good at it....grin)

2 Comments:

  • At 2:20 AM, Blogger Big Lebowski Store said…

    Congrats on the new blog!

    Flea

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Blogger Fat Doctor said…

    Good name. I wish I knew what name you posted comments under. You could email that to me if you ever felt like it. I agree that anonymity is safest in the blog world. My blog was "The Fat Doctor," then decided to drop the "The" after a few weeks. I was "Bigmamadoc" but in May 2006 decided to just change my name to Fat Doctor. You can change anytime you want. That's the beauty of blogger. :) Welcome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home