Ren and the art of Motorcycles

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Solitude

I like to ride alone. For a woman and a biker, I've been told, that's rather unusual. But I crave quiet and solitude. For me, one of the best ways to satisfy that craving is riding. Just me and my thoughts. Sometimes, not even music through my iPod. I like being alone for time periods. But more, I crave quiet. Perhaps it's a reflection of all the years spent in a hospital, with the constant noise that goes on. I crave quiet. When I am home alone, often the house is quiet...no TV, no radio, no noise other than the hum of the household appliances.

On the bike, the quiet is different. I can't "space out" and daydream. I have to pay attention to what the bike is saying to me. But the quiet still soothes me. The hum of the engine and the sound of the road are relaxing. There are no demands on me. I don't have to talk to anyone. I can organize my mind and my thoughts.

On one long trip, I was alone for the whole time. I rode when I wanted to, stopped when I wanted to, and spent the nights alone in a hotel room. It was a wonderful break in life. If I wanted human contact, I could make it. But if I wanted to be quiet, I could do that also. It was wonderful to get to know myself again as a person, not as a wife, mother, employee...just as me. Something many people don't take the time to do. I enjoyed it so much, I'm already planning the next trip.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Carmel said…

    Everyone needs the occasional sabbitical from things in life... glad you one that rejuvinated you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home