Ren and the art of Motorcycles

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Testing, Testing...

Since I commented on PZ Myer’s blog Pharyngula, I decided to let the book meme virus infect me. I figured it would be a good way for me to test whether I had worked out most of the PC problems I’ve been having lately. (No comments from the Mac gallery, please…I get enough of those from my brother LOL) And, I love reading book memes because they introduce me to books that I never encountered.

A book that changed my life: David Hough: Street Strategies. The first book about safe motorcycling I came across and read (and still re-read), along with his two books Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. Three great books for any motorcyclist to read and keep in their library, whether new or experienced. Every time I read them I learn something new.

A book I've read more than once: Lousia May Alcott’s books...all of them. I don’t know how many times I’ve read them but the first time was back in the 1970’s and I can quote huge chunks verbatim. Great stories, mindless reading and I STILL cry every time Beth dies.

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island: If I was limited to one book…Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. Or a field guide to edible plants. Other book options might depend on whether I was stuck alone or not. ;) (Thanks are due to The Minstrel Boy who caught that I gave the wrong author.)

A book that made me laugh: All the books by Randy Cassingham (Thisistrue.com), Darwin Awards and so many others, who look at people and modern life and point out how stupid humans can be. (So far, I have not appeared in any of these books…)

A book that I wish had been written: The one I have in my future plans…I have my grandparents' letters to each other from WWII and I’d love to create either a novel based on the letters or a book from the letters to show what life was like during those years. But there is so much information in them that it will take a long time to whittle it down.

A book that I wish had never been written: I don’t know. Books I hated other people love. Guess, like PZ Myers, I would have to say the Bible. So many evil things have been done based on someone’s interpretation of it (although there are some beautiful passages of sheer poetry in it).

A book I've been meaning to read: Since reading KA’s blog Biblioblography, I’m going to start Voltaire.

I'm currently reading: Several books at once (as usual). Thanks to the rainy weekend, I plan on finishing the third book in Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory’s The Obsidian Trilogy When Darkness Falls; I also am reading The Darwin Awards (again) and Nora Robert’s new book Morrigan’s Cross.

I really have a wide variety of books in the house; so many that Husband has threatened to leave me if I bring any more home. It’s an addiction. My books range from motorcycle ones, romance novels, science fiction, 20th children’s literature, history, to my secret infatuation, 19th century children’s literature. Particularly as a woman, reading some of those books makes me so glad I live in the 20th and 21st centuries!

I love to know what others read too, and why. It gives me more titles to buy and bring home! Or maybe I should hit the library so my husband doesn't leave... So, to quote PZ, “…infections aren't made by the virus's choice, so if you leave a comment here, consider yourself contaminated.”

6 Comments:

  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger Barbados Butterfly said…

    Have just discovered your blog and love it! Now I want to get myself a motorcycle. And full protective riding gear, of course. :)

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Maggie Rosethorn said…

    BB--thanks for stopping in. I love your blog, too. You do a lot of things I haven't dared try (at least not yet!) There are a lot of wonderful women riders in Oz, a friend of mine here went over a few years ago and linked up with several of the groups and rode all over the country and had a blast. My goal for the future...

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger The Minstrel Boy said…

    my book meme and a small, picky little detail . . .Robinson Crusoe was by Daniel Defoe, not Swift.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Maggie Rosethorn said…

    Oops...you're right. That's what I get for being lazy and trying to read authors from across the room..Gulliver and Crusoe are next to each other on my shelf and I picked the wrong one. I made the correction. Thanks!

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Books! I also really enjoy seeing what others are reading… bibliovoyeurism?

    I love Alcott's books as well. I also like to read and reread those by Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables and the like), and everything by Austin. There's something so soothing about them all... as you say, great stories and relatively mindless reading.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Carmel said…

    Books are awesome... though I do have to disagree about the Bible not be written. Can't blame what people did on the book.

    But I am fortunate that my now husband hehe... loves books as much as I do. Unfortunately, that leaves us with a massive load of books and not that many places to put them. Sigh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home